"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Monday, April 10, 2017

Matthew Monday: Reconciliation Monday

Today, as in many dioceses across the country, is Reconciliation Monday.    The Catholic Church makes a push for all to attend the Sacrament of Reconciliation, otherwise known as the Sacrament of Penance, still otherwise known as Confession.  Church are open from three P.M. to nine P.M. with priests manning confessionals.    

Matthew is making his first Communion in a couple of weeks.  He’s already gone to the Sacrament of Penance a twice in the past few months.  Actually I found that kind of odd.  When I was a kid the Sacrament of Penance was just a few days before first Communion.  Matthew had his first confession at the beginning of January, and his first communion will be on May 6th.  I think it’s a good idea how they do it now. 


So given his first communion is less than a month away, Matthew’s school encouraged them to go to confession today, Reconciliation Monday, and to bring along their parents.  So when I got home, and on our way to Grandma’s house for Passover Seder, we stopped at the church and we both went through confession.  Our confessionals have a glass door from the outside, and I could see Matthew kneeling before the confessional and he was speaking a little too loud so I could almost hear what he was saying.  He was so adorable.  He’s the joy of my heart.


4 comments:

  1. You are very lucky to have confessions from 3.00pm to 9.00pm.

    Over here we used to have in our church two hours with visiting priests from other parishes. This year, we've been told to go to another church about a mile away because there are no Easter confessions in our church.

    Best wishes to Matthew on his First Communion. I shall be praying for him. You and your wife are wonderful parents.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's not every week. That's just a special day at the beginning of holy week. Normally confession is open for an hour on Saturday.

      Delete
  2. Matthew must be very happy and I'm sure he's looking forward to his first communion on May 6th.

    Believe it or not, I still recall making my first communion over sixty years ago. Long story short, after Mass on our way home, I was so exited while in the back of my dads truck... I didn't wait for my dad to make a complete stop... Longer story shorter, I kind of ripped a hole in my new pants that mom had made for me.

    How the times they are a changing.

    Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great story. I remember my first confession and first communion too. Matthew is really looking forward to it. Right now at Mass he comes up with me when I receive. He has his arms crossed over his chest to receive a blessing from the priest. He can't wait until he can open his hands for communion too.

      Delete