"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Monday, August 21, 2017

Poetry: “An Eclipse” by Dora Sigerson Shorter

I’ve never heard of Dora Sigerson Shorter, but I came across this little poem which makes good reading for today, the day of the Solar Eclipse of 2017.  I came across it at American Literature.Com, which also features an essay by James Fenimore Cooper, “The Eclipse,” on his experience witnessing the June 16, 1806 solar eclipse. 

It’s actually a nice little poem and I think it’s referencing all the anxiety that come with eclipses over the end of the earth.

An Eclipse
by Dora Sigerson Shorter

Let there be an end
And all be done;
Pass over, fair eclipse,
That hides the sun.

Dear face that shades the light
And shadows me,
Begone, and give me peace,
And set me free.


Interersting she titles it, An and not The Eclipse.  Perhaps she is suggesting more than just the solar event.

Well, I’m going to try to watch the eclipse this afternoon.  We are only get about a 70% eclipse in the New York area.  Be careful and follow the safety precautions if you will be outside.  It happens between two and three o’clock this afternoon here.


1 comment:

  1. That's a nice little poem. We'll have 90% if it's not cloudy. Don't be jealous.

    ReplyDelete